Description: BMP180 Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor Module
GY68 GY-68 BMP180 BMP 180 Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor Board Module Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Replace BMP085For Arduino RC Drone FPV Racing Multi Rotor
BMP180 is one of sensor of BMP XXX series. They are all designed to measure Barometric Pressure or Atmospheric pressure. BMP180 is a high precision sensor designed for consumer applications. Barometric Pressure is nothing but weight of air applied on everything. The air has weight and wherever there is air its pressure is felt. BMP180 sensor senses that pressure and provides that information in digital output. Also the temperature affects the pressure and so we need temperature compensated pressure reading. To compensate, the BM180 also has good temperature sensor.
- Measuring the absolute pressure of the environment using a digital barometer such as this has some interesting applications.
- By converting the pressure measured into altitude
- You have a reliable sensor for determining the height of your robot, plane or projectile!
- The device will operate at only 0.3uA meaning low current draw for battery powered applications.
- Using I2C, the device provides pressure and temperature as 16bit values
BMP180 MODULE Features
- Can measure temperature and altitude.
- Pressure range: 300 to 1100hPa
- High relative accuracy of ±0.12hPa
- Can work on low voltages
- 3.4Mhz I2C interface
- Low power consumption (3uA)
- Pressure conversion time: 5msec
- Potable size
BMP180 MODULE Specifications
- Operating voltage of BMP180: 1.3V – 3.6V
- Input voltage of BMP180MODULE: 3.3V to 5.5V
- Peak current : 1000uA
- Consumes 0.1uA standby
- Maximum voltage at SDA , SCL : VCC + 0.3V
- Operating temperature: -40ºC to +80ºC
- BMP280, BMP085, etc.
Where to Use BMP180 MODULE
There are many reasons why BMP180 is preferred over other modules, here are a few reasons
- Case1: Where you want accurate atmospheric pressure. Over many modules present in market, BMP180 measures barometric pressure more accurately.
- Case2: Where power consumption is issue. BMP180 MODULE consumes very less power to function. So this module can be used on systems which work on battery like smart watches and mobile phones.
- Case3: Where high speed communication is of need. BMP180 MODULE capable of communicating with high speed TWI interface.
With altitude measure, high speed sense and temperature sensor on board the use of BMP180 module is promoted even further than other modules.
Working of BMP180:
The BMP180 consists of a piezo-resistive sensor, an analog to digital converter and a control unit with E2PROM and a serial I2C interface. The BMP180 delivers the uncompensated value of pressure and temperature. The microcontroller sends a start sequence to start a pressure or temperature measurement. After converting time, the result value (pressure or temperature respectively) can be read via the I2C interface. For calculating temperature in °C and pressure in hPa, the calibration data has to be used. These constants can be read out from the BMP180 E2PROM via the I2C interface at software initialization. The sampling rate can be increased up to 128 samples per second (standard mode) for dynamic measurement. In this case, it is sufficient to measure the temperature only once per second and to use this value for all pressure measurements during the same period.
How to Use BMP180 MODULE
As seen in PIN DIAGRAM. There are only two pins present to communicate with the module. And this communication is I2C interface. The data is sent to the module or received from the module though I2C interface. So we have to get the information of barometric pressure and temperature through this interface. A typical circuit diagram of BMP180 with ARDUINO is shown below.
As shown in circuit diagram the module is connected to +5V power supply or to ARDUINO UNO Vout pin. The module can work on +5V regulated power and higher voltage may damage the module. The I2C interface is established as shown in figure. All you need to do is connect SDA PIN of module to SDA PIN of ARDUINO and SCL PIN of module to SCL of ARDUINO.
Although connecting to BMP180 sensor module is easy communicating with it is not easy. The data exchange between controller of ARDUINO and module is really complex. Usually to send information to module or receive the information from it we have to follow the protocol. This protocol is sequence of steps to be followed without an error. These steps are complex to follow for starters. So using libraries which are pre written for the module is ideal. Using libraries makes the communication easy. All you need to do is download these libraries and call them in programs. Once the header file is included, the ARDUINO follows the protocol automatically and decodes the required data. Once this data is available we can perform functions of desire.
Hence by using libraries we can use BMP180 module easily.
- Indoor navigation
- Sport devices
- Computer Peripherals
- Weather forecast
- Vertical velocity Indication
- Hobby projects
- 1 x GY68 GY-68 BMP180 BMP 180 Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor Board Module Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Replace BMP085For Arduino RC Drone FPV Racing Multi Rotor