Description: IRF540 N Channel MOSFET
A CLASS IRF540PBF IRF540 MOSFET IRF540N IC 100V 30A 100W TO-220 N-Channel Power MOSFET 3 Pin Leads IRF540 Transistor IRF540N MOSFET
IRF540 30A 100V N-Channel Power MOSFET is designed to withstand high energy in the avalanche and commutation modes. This new energy efficient design also offers a drain–to–source diode with a fast recovery time. Designed for low voltage, high speed switching applications in power supplies, converters, and PWM motor controls.
- Package Type: TO-220
- Transistor Type: N Channel
- Max Voltage Applied From Drain to Source: 100V
- Max Gate to Source Voltage Should Be: ±20V
- Max Continues Drain Current is : 23A (Different manufacturers have slightly different ratings of continuous drain current)
- Max Pulsed Drain Current is: 92A (Different manufacturers have slightly different ratings of continuous drain current)
- Max Power Dissipation is: 100W
- Minimum Voltage Required to Conduct: 2V to 4V
- Max Storage & Operating temperature Should Be: -55 to +150 Celsius
- Small signal N-Channel MOSFET
- Continuous Drain Current (ID) is 33A at 25°C
- Pulsed Drain Current (ID-peak) is 110A
- Minimum Gate threshold voltage (VGS-th) is 2V
- Maximum Gate threshold voltage (VGS-th) is 4V
- Gate-Source Voltage is (VGS) is ±20V
- Maximum Drain-Source Voltage (VDS)is 100V
- Turn ON and Turn off time is 35ns each’
- It is commonly used with Arduino, due to its low threshold current.
- Available in To-220 package
IRF540 Replacement and Equivalent:
2SK1928, BUZ21, 2SK2314, 2SK2466, 2SK2391, 2SK2466, BUK445-100A, BUK455-100A, BUK551-100A, BUK555-100A, IRFI540G, IRFS540, MTP27N10E, RFP22N10, 2SK2789
IRF540 Transistor Explained
IRF540 is a power MOSFET designed to drive high current loads. It can handle maximum load of upto 23A and the maximum load voltage is upto 100V DC. It is using trench technology which makes it capable to reach high level of driving capability. It can be used for both switching and amplification purposes. This transistor possesses some of the good features that make it ideal to use as a switch. It is capable to perform high speed switching therefore it can be used in wide variety of application where you want to switch the load with high speed such as UPS.
Other than that it can also be used as an amplifier, the maximum power dissipation of 100W makes it ideal to build a high power audio amplifier and it can also be used in high power audio amplifier stages.
Where We Can Use it & How to Use:
IRF540 can be used for both purposes i.e switching and amplification. As a switch it can be used in many applications such as power supplies, battery management applications, DC to DC converters etc. It can also be used at the output of microcontrollers and electronic platform like arduino, raspberry pi etc. to drive high ampere loads. On the other hand it can be used to build high power audio amplifiers.
Wiring or using the MOSFETs are almost same as the BJT’s, while operating the main difference between the two is that MOSFET are the voltage controlled devices and BJTs are current controlled devices so MOSFET transistor don’t require current at its Gate you can controlled them by voltage. The minimum voltage IRF540 transistor required for saturation is 2V to 4V.
- Fast Switching Applications
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Battery Chargers
- Battery Management Systems
- Solar Battery Chargers
- Solar Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Motor Driver Applications
- Telecommunication Applications
- Computer Related Applications
How to Safely Long Run in a Circuit:
For long term performance in your applications it is suggested to always operate alteast 20% below from its maximum ratings. The maximum drain current is 23A therefore try to stay under 18A and the maximum load voltage is 100V therefore drive load under 80V. The Gate to source voltage should be under ±20V. Always use a proper heatsink with the transistor. The operating and storing temperature should always be above -55 Celsius and below +155 Celsius.
- 1 x IRF540 N Channel MOSFET