LM7812 is a TO-220 packaged positive voltage regulator IC of LM78xx series that is manufactured by many different electronic components manufacturers. The IC provides fixed 12V output voltage no matter if the input voltage is fluctuating or changing continuously or it is higher than 12V but the input voltage should not be more than 35V which is the maximum input voltage limit this IC is capable to handle. Moreover the input voltage should not be less than 14V that is the minimum input voltage requirement of the IC to provide fixed 12V output. Although this IC is designed for fixed output but the output can also be adjusted if required by the user with the help of only two external resistors at the output the details can be found below in this article.
During usage when the IC performing voltage regulation or stepping down the input voltage all the voltage difference between the input voltage and the output is converted to heat due to which a suitable heatsink is mandatory for proper working of the IC. The IC can handle maximum load of 1A to 1.5A but the input current should be 2A to get 1A to 1.5A at the output.
- TO-220 Package
- The Output current is 1.5 Ampere
- Immediate short circuit shutdown function
- Immediate over heat shutdown function
- Low price
- Authentic to use in commercial devices
- Accurate and fixed 12V output
- Maximum input voltage is 35V DC
- Low standby current only 8mA
Features and Specifications
This section mentions some of the important features and specifications of the 7812 IC:
- Input Voltage: 14.5V to 27V DC
- Output Voltage: 11.75V – 12.25V DC
- Output Current (Typical): 1A
- Peak current: 2.2A
- Dropout voltage: 2V
- Voltage step down circuits
- 12V Power Supplies
- Motor Drivers
- Battery Chargers
- Solar Power Supplies
- Microcontroller Related Applications
- Remote control cars
- Phone chargers
- Power distribution circuits
- Current Limiter for certain applications
- Regulated Dual Supply
Replacement and Equivalent / Other Part Numbers:
LM340-12, LM340A-12 and LM1084-12 can be used as equivalent of LM7812, if these equivalent voltage regulators are not available you can also use an LM317 IC to get fixed 12V output.
LM7812 12V DC Power Supply Circuit:
The schematic below shows a 12V DC power supply circuit using 7812 IC.
LM7812 Adjustable / Variable Power Supply Circuit:
The schematic below shows an adjustable or variable power supply using LM7812 IC with two external resistors.
How to Safely Long Run in a Circuit:
For stable and long term performance from LM7812 it is suggested to not operate load more than 1.5A, always use a suitable heatsink with it, always check pinout before using in your application and do not operate in temperature below 0 degree Celsius and above +125 degree Celsius and always store in temperature above -65 degree Celsius and below +150 degree Celsius.
- 1 x A Class LM7812 L7812CV L7812 7812 12V 1.5A Voltage Regulator IC 3 Pin TO-220 Package Fixed 12V Positive Voltage Regulator IC