Description: LM7915 15V 1.5A Voltage Regulator IC
A Class LM7915 L7915CV L7915 7915 15V 1.5A Voltage Regulator IC 3 Pin TO-220 Package Fixed -15V Negative Voltage Regulator IC Chip
Previously we have discussed many positive voltage regulator ICs form LM78xx series. These voltage regulators are quite famous and widely used. But today we are going to discuss about a negative voltage regulator LM7915. LM7915 is a fixed output negative voltage regulator of LM79xx series and available in TO-220 transistor package. The IC requires only one or two external components which are two filter capacitors which are placed at the input and output of the IC as shown in the IC’s pinout image above. These capacitors can be solid tantalum or electrolytic type and should be placed as near as possible with the IC with short leads. A proper heatsink is a must to use with the IC so that the IC can its maximum load that is 1.5A. The input voltage must be 2V to 3V above from output voltage that is 12V to get the stable output voltage. Additionally the input current should be atleast 1.5A to 2A to get accurate 1.5A at the output.
LM7915 IC Features / Technical Specifications
- TO-220 Package
- Up to 1.5A output current
- Short circuit protection function
- Overheat shutdown function
- Low price
- Reliable for commercial use
- Accurate 15v output
- Maximum input voltage is 35V DC
- Low quiescent current
7915 Regulator Features
- 15V Negative Voltage Regulator
- Minimum Input Voltage is -14.5V
- Maximum Input Voltage is -27V
- Peak Output Current is 2.2A
- Average Output Current is upto 1A
- Internal Thermal Overload and Short circuit current limiting protection is available.
- Available in TO-220 package only.
Where & How to Use:
LM7915 can be used in wide variety of applications such as different type of power supply. Using the IC is pretty straight forward. As shown in the image above it can be connected between the negative supply to the load.
- Voltage step down circuits
- Dual Power Supplies
- Motor Drivers
- Battery Charger Circuits
- Solar Power Supply Circuits
Replacement and Equivalent / Other Part Numbers
UA7915, GL7915, KIA7915P are the replacement / equivalent part number of LM7915 IC. If these equivalent ICs are not available then you can also use LM337 adjustable negative voltage regulator IC and set it to 15V fixed output.
How to Safely Long Run in a Circuit
To get long term and stable performance from LM7915 to not drive load of more than 1.5A, the input voltage should not be more than 35V. Always use a proper heat sink and do not operate or store the IC in temperature below -65 centigrade and above +150 centigrade.
- 1 x A Class LM7915 L7915CV L7915 7915 15V 1.5A Voltage Regulator IC 3 Pin TO-220 Package Fixed -15V Negative Voltage Regulator IC Chip