Solenoids are basically electromagnets: they are made of a coil of copper wire with an armature (a slug of metal) in the middle. When the coil is energized, the slug is pulled into the center of the coil. This makes the solenoid able to pull (from one end) or push (from the other).
This solenoid in particular is very small, with a 20mm long body and a ‘captive’ armature with a return spring. This means that when activated with ~5VDC, the solenoid moves and then the voltage is removed it springs back to the original position, which is quite handy. Many lower cost solenoids are only push type or only pull type and may not have a captive armature (it’ll fall out!) or don’t have a return spring. This one even has nice mounting tabs, its a great all-purpose solenoid.
We also have a slightly bigger small push-pull solenoid and a huge large push-pull solenoid in the store!
To drive a solenoid you will need a power transistor and a protection diode , check this diagram for how to wire it to an Arduino or other microcontroller. You will need a fairly good power supply to drive a solenoid, as a lot of current will rush into the solenoid to charge up the electro-magnet, about 1 Amp, so be careful of trying to power/activate from a computer’s USB.
- Voltage & Current : DC5V 1A; Stroke & Force : 3mm, 30g
- Action Type: Pull; Energized Forms: Intermittent
- Easy to Install – It’s with simple structure, and it can save the energy and the time during the installation for you.
- Sturdy and Durable – It can well and safely protect your valuable objects, and serve you for a long time.
- Small Size and Light Weight – It just takes up a small space which is perfect lock to be used for the small box or small cabinets, such as deposit box, cabinets, safes etc.
- Rated voltage: 5V
- Current (at 5V): 0.42A
- DC resistance: 12Ω±5%
- Stroke: 3.5mm
- Connection type: bare wire
- Voltage & Current : DC5V 1A
- Stroke & Force : 3mm, 30g
- Action Type: Pull
- Energized Forms: Intermittent
- Body Size: 14 x 10 x 8mm / 0.55x 0.39 x 0.31inch (L*W*H)
- Plunger Bar Dia: 3mm / 0.12 inch
- Package Content : 1 x Electromagnet Solenoid Lock
Instructions for Use:
- The red and black wires are the power cords of the electromagnetic lock, and the positive and negative electrodes are not distinguished.
- When the switch is turned on, the exposed length of the locking tongue is 3MM retracted and the cabinet door is opened. When power is not supplied, the locking tongue extends 3MM by the internal spring force, and the cabinet door is locked.
- 1 x 5V Solenoid Mini Push Pull DC 5V 1A 30g 3mm Mini Electromagnetic Solenoid Lock Pull Type for Electric Lock Cabinet Door Lock